Mark start research and blogging about five years ago beside his successful business about RC cars, ride-on toys, power wheels, etc. Although he is a...Read more
Getting your kid an EV is the best way to feed his/her desire for a fancy car. But when your kid is 12 – 13 years old or more, you have to consider things more carefully. Body size, the teenager’s safety, longevity, and a ton of other things to keep in mind.
Okay, that’s a bit overwhelming, but bear with me. I’ve put over 20 EVs into consideration, and found out the best electric cars for 13-year-olds and up you can rely on. These cars are not only compatible for a 13, 14, or even 16 year old kid, but also they’re extremely reliable as well.
So, let’s get to know them in detail and help you make an informed decision for your kid’s next big toy.
Table Of Contents
Here is a list of the topics we’ve covered in this article to help you navigate faster:
- Is An Electric Cars For 13 Years Old Good?
- 8 Best Electric Cars For 13 Year Olds (And Up) Reviews
- 1. MotoTec Go Kart 1000w Maverick: Best Overall
- 2. Traxxas 2WD Slash Short Course Truck: Best Toy Truck
- 3. DEERC 300E High Speed Remote Control Car: Best RC for Speed
- 4. ARRMA SENTON V3 3S BLX: Best RC for durability
- 5. Segway Ninebot Electric GoKart Pro: Best Go Kart combo
- 6. Razor Dirt Quad 500 ATV: Best for Off-roading
- 7. FRP Baja-X 48V Electric Go Kart: Best for small kids
- 8. NEWQIDA 24v 2 Seater Ride On UTV Buggy: Best for 2 seater
- How To Choose Electric Cars For 13 Year Olds (And Up)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Verdict
Is An Electric Cars For 13 Years Old Good?
Simply put, electric cars are the future for good, and your kid wants a car to ride. Considering both aspects it all comes down to getting an electric car, after all!
You’re stepping forward to the better future you want to leave for your kid when s/he grows up. You’re letting your kid fall in love with EVs, the future of transportation.
However, if you’re concerned about the safety and all, no worries, these cars do come with proper safety measures. Your kid can’t over-speed the car, do something dangerous.
So, is getting an electric car for your 13 year old kid okay? Absolutely. You can give your kid the electric car you desire, and the kid will catch up just fine.
Want to make a better informed decision with a side by side comparison between the electric cars? Here’s one comprehensive table of comparison:
|Car model||Motor||Battery||Backup||Suitable for|
|MotoTec Go Kart||36 volt 1000 watt||3 12v/12ah Lead Acid||Up to 40 minutes||13-16 years|
|Traxxas Slash Truck||Titan XL-5 ESC 550||7-cell NiMH battery pack||15 to 20 minutes||13 to 14 years|
|DEERC 300E RC Car||25A 2440 brushless||Two 7.4 V lithium ion||40+ minutes (at 37 kph)||14 years and up|
|ARRMA SENTON RC||Spektrum 3200Kv brushless||2S LiPo with 3S Hardcase||15+ minutes (at 50 mph)||12 years and up|
|Segway Ninebot Bundle||400 watt dual sport||4 Segway 4320 Wh||15.5 miles range||13 years and up|
|Razor 500 DLX Quad ATV||high-torque 500 watt||36V (3 x 12V) lead acid||Up to 68 minutes||14 years and up|
|FRP Baja-X Go Kart||48v 1000w motor||48V lead acid battery||20 to 40 minutes||12 years old and up|
|NEWQIDA 2 Seater Buggy||4 motors on each wheel||24V 10Ah||40-60 minutes||4 y old & adults (220 lbs)|
8 Best Electric Cars For 13 Year Olds (And Up) Reviews
Who doesn’t want to make better decisions based on experts’ guidelines? To give you just that, and to help you pick the best electric car for your 13 year old kid, we’ve compiled the list below. Have a look:
1. MotoTec Go Kart 1000w Maverick: Best Overall
Offer your kid the smooth riding experience as well as the thrill that s/he wants with the MotoTec Go Kart. This electric car comes with a rugged construction that’s meant to last for a very long time, thanks to the construction design and heavy material.
With this go kart, you’re getting a full overhead roll bar that will protect the car, your kid, and everything inside. Talking of which, this car also comes equipped with proper netting around the footbed. It’s available on both sides so that your kid doesn’t lose things while riding.
As for the size and design, this shifter kart is perfectly made for kids aged between 13 and 16 years old. The circular steering wheel and the foot pads are neatly placed so that your kid can reach and control them without straining.
What’s more, you’re getting all the necessary high-end features, like hydraulic braking, key start, positraction, and so on. The forward/reverse motor and the differential are perfectly done to ensure a smoother curvature and control while doing tricks.
As you can tell, your kid will love the control. Now for the electric aspects, you’ll get a 36 volt 1000 watt brushless motor inside. It makes sure the car is performing like a beast. With this motor, your child will get a variable speed of 10, 15, and 20 MPH.
If 20 MPH sounds too much, it’s only possible when you undo the optional plug, and it has seat belts. Plus, the chain drive transmission, foot pedal, and parking brakes ensure better control. And the 12v battery will give you 40 minutes of ride time from 4 to 5 hours of charge.
- Brake: hydraulic rear disk brake
- Motor: 36 volt 1000 watt brushless
- Start mechanism: key start
- Drive: forward and reverse
- Speed control: 3 speeds (10, 15, 20)
- Battery: Three 12v/12ah Lead Acid
- Distance covered: 5 to 12 miles
- Charge time: 4 to 5 hours
- Ride time: Up to 40 minutes
- Rider Weight: 154lbs
- Rider Height: 45” to 63”
- Throttle: Foot pedal
- Frame Material: High-tensile tubular steel
- Wheels size:00-6 (6205-2z Bearing Size)
- Kart Weight:150 lbs
- Tire design with turf safety for saving grass
- Chain drive transmission system for better control
- Seat belt, full roll bar, netting, chain guard, speed plug
This go cart is a perfect selection if you’re looking for the best electric car for your 13-year old kid. It comes with variable speed, a large motor, and an adjustable battery which takes only 4-5 hours to fully charge for a ride of 40 minutes! With key start and hydraulic, it’s perfect for great control.
2. Traxxas 2WD Slash Short Course Truck: Best Toy Truck
Is it a toy truck you want for your kid? Why not bring a heavy duty Ford? The Traxxas is such a great toy truck for kids. It’s 2WD Slash, among the electric toy cars for 13 year olds with the official body design of Ford Raptor with all its original looks.
It comes with everything you find in the original model from an integrated bumper, an injection molded grill, even the side mirrors, and tailgate light. Design wise, this toy truck is the ultimate scale of realism as it’s officially licensed by Ford.
Not just that, you’ll also get some of the coolest internal features you get to experience in Raptor. It comes with a torque controlled slipper clutch mechanism with magnum 272 transmission. Plus, the gears and differentials are steel made for extra durability.
You’ll get a 7-cell NiMH Traxxas battery that works with iD technology to run the motor inside the truck. To charge it up, you’re getting a 12-volt DC fast charger with 4-amp power input. As for the running power, the truck has the Titan 550 modified XL-5 motor.
This motor is capable of getting this truck up to 30 mph of speed, controllable with the remote. Talking of which, the RC car comes with a remote inside for controlling it. Combined with this heavy motor and all-terrain tires, this truck will go anywhere with might.
No worries about your kid getting into mud, snow, or water because this truck has waterproof electronics on board. Just like the original truck with 3.5L twin turbo 450 HP engine. As your kid drives the truck at heavy speed off-trail, there’s an integrated fan to keep the motor cool.
With an integrated bumper, suspensions on all 4 wheels, and a solid under truck bed, it’s a beast. The truck won’t rip off like other miserable toys just because your kid loves to ride a bit harsh. Besides, the internal 2.4 GHz TQ antenna will stay out of damage as it’s inside.
- Truck replica: Officially licensed Ford Raptor
- Suitable for: 13 to 14 years old kids
- Battery: 7-cell NiMH battery pack
- Charger: 4-amp 12-volt DC fast charger
- Motor: Titan XL-5 ESC 550 Modified Motor
- Top speed: Up to 30 mph
- Backup time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Suspension: All 4 wheels
- Protection: All-weather (water, mud and snow)
- Remote: TQ 2.4GHz radio system
- Gear system: Magnum 272 metal gear transmission
- It’s made of steel, aluminum, and plastic with a strong unified build
- The internal antenna is inside with no damage from tripping
- Peak-detection circuitry helps the battery to charge fully
This toy truck is the best toy truck for 13 and 14 year old kids that is the exact model of the Ford Raptor. It’s a remote controlled car with a rechargeable battery that gives you up to 20 minutes of battery backup. Plus, it has heavy duty steel gear system alongside the antenna protected inside.
3. DEERC 300E High Speed Remote Control Car: Best RC for Speed
The Deerc 300E is a remote controlled car that you can get your kid if high speed is what you’re looking for. It’s perfect for 13 to 16 years old kids with selectable color options. You’ll get a huge 60 kilometers per hour of speed out of its heavy duty 24A motor.
Inside the car, there’s a high performance brushless motor that you can help you go over 60 km per hour. No worries, you or your kid can easily control that speed with a 10 step speed adjustment system. So, you can control the speed, just as much as you want.
If you even do racing with this remote controlled car, it won’t disappoint you as it comes with RTR tech. That will help you gear up quick and run fast. It responds to your command before you know it! The remote controller works with 2.4 GHz radio technology.
However, don’t let the high power make you feel down because it comes with 2 sets of 7.4 V lithium batteries. You’ll get 40+ minutes of riding time off of them. It’s capable enough to run the motor using its 3-wire servo soldering system.
As for the riding, it won’t disappoint you as it’s a competent off-roader with heavy duty build. The outer shell is made collision proof as well as the under truck bed. Plus, the rubber tires have extra bumps to back you up with bolted wheel hub metal sheet.
Not just that, the oil treated shock absorber will keep the PVC car cover upright so that you can drift around. And the sealed housing will keep it safe from water, sand, dust, and any other adverse situations. You can do trail riding from 110 meters away with the remote.
- Car type: Remote controlled toy car
- Applicable for: 14 years and up
- Control system: 4 wheel drive
- Shock absorption: oil treated shock absorber
- Battery: Two 7.4 V lithium battery
- Motor type: 25A 2440 brushless motor
- Backup time: 40+ minutes
- Remote control: 4 GHz 110 meter
- Drive mechanism: all terrain truck, climbing ready
- Maximum Speed: 60 KPH (1-10 speed adjustment)
- Transmission: Dual differentials
- Protection: Waterproof
- RC weight: 33 kg
- Material: PVC car cover
- 3 wires servo connection for longevity
- Racing Throttle Response for better control
- Heavy duty bolted wheel hub metal sheet
- Rubber tire with climbing and off-roading
If you want an RC vehicle with adjustable speed up to 60 kph for your 13-y old kid, go with the Deerc 300E. It has a highly efficient 24A motor, powered by a 7.4V lithium battery. With two batteries included, you’ll get more than 40 minutes of riding time with off-roading and climbing.
4. ARRMA SENTON V3 3S BLX: Best RC for durability
The ARRMA Senton comes with a strong, molded composite construction that will give you the ultimate impact resistance you’ve been looking for. Its tough steel build inside the transmission gear box will keep the car on track without a fail, everytime.
Not just that, its sliding mesh motor plate is made of aluminum which strengthens the car far more than it looks. For the exterior, your kid is getting a custom ARRMA trim scheme pain job which both strengthens the sealing and makes a brighter presence.
Now, for the internal mechanism, you’ll get a highly efficient Spektrum Firma brushless motor. Its 3200Kv power will produce high torque and make sure you’re doing well on the track. The similar quality efficient Spektrum S651 metal gear steering will indeed pair up.
Combining both, you’ll get a whooping 50 MPH speed out of this beast RC toy. With that much speed, you can pick it up for a 13, 14, or 16 year old kid, no less then that. No worries about safety; it has a 100 Amp continuous 3S BLX100 speed controller.
Its heavy transmission with triple slipper clutch design will keep it safe while running fast. The best part about the control inside is, it’s fully waterproof, alongside all other internal components. So, you can run this car on any terrain, go off-roading, or climb rocks.
Well, the vented dBoots fortress SC all terrain tires come pre mounted, foam inserted. With shock absorption on all 4 tires, you’ll get buttery smooth rides. You can control them with the 2.4GHz SLT3 radio controller combined with the Spektrum SLR300 Receiver on board.
- Car type: Remote controlled miniatured
- Applicable for: 12 year kids and up
- Control system: 4 wheel drive
- Shock absorption: High performance shock absorber
- Battery: 2S LiPo, 3S Hardcase LiPo with 4 AA Batteries
- Motor type: Spektrum 3200Kv brushless motor
- Backup time: 15+ minutes on each charge
- Remote: 4 GHz SLT3 3-Channel radio control
- Drive mechanism: All terrain truck, climbing ready
- Maximum Speed: 50 MPH (with speed adjustment)
- Transmission: Dual differentials and metal gears
- Protection: Water dust and debris resistant
- RC weight: 27kg
- Material: PVC car cover
- 3 Channel superior radio transmission control system
- Tough build on chassis with powerful steering servo
- RTR technology for better drifting and quick clutch
- Rubber shielded bearings with triple-pad slipper
Going really fast while keeping the car in one piece; if that’s what you’re concerned about, this is what you need. The Arrma Senton goes extremely fast at 50 MPH with a strong dual metal gear transmission. It’s appropriate for 12 year old kids and more.
5. Segway Ninebot Electric GoKart Pro: Best Go Kart combo
If you want the best go kart combo that you can use yourself while your kid riding around, let’s talk about the Segway Ninebot Gokart. It’s by far the most elegantly designed GoKart that you and your kid can ride together as it comes in two.
First, you’ll get the go kart with all the nifty features you can possibly ask for, and more. You get all these while packing a Ninebolt S self balancing scooter as well! It goes into the back of your go kart and works as on the unified vehicle. Both are controlled with phone app too.
You can just take it out and ride the scooter, or ride them both together. If your kid is using it, be sure to adjust the body to its smallest size and vice versa for adults. The package is available for all three models, each offering more flexibility. Choose accordingly.
As for the capacity, it takes up to 220 lbs of people just fine. With its 400 watt dual motors on board, you get plenty of power to drift around. It’s suitable for both kids and adults with an adjustable structure for people of 4′ 5″ to 6′ 3″. The steering is also adjustable as well.
You or your kid can run this kart at three different modes, affecting the speed. With “safe mode”, you get only 5 Kph of speed while the “new rider” and the “sport mode” will give you 18 kph. And for the max, you get “track mode” with 23 kph of speed!
For the riding experience, the kart comes with an F1 sports car alike shifting and braking system. It’s so fast, that you can get even a 1G level of acceleration on this beast. And to help you drift and stunt really well, it equips a pair of drift ready back tires with no treads.
- Car type: Go kart and self balance scooter combo
- Applicable for: 13 year kids (safe mode) and up
- Control system: Steering wheel and app control
- Battery: Segway 4320 Wh 4 airdocks battery
- Motor type: 400 watt dual sport motors
- Convertible: With Segway self balancing scooter
- Speed: 7 miles and speed up to 25 kilometers
- Drive mechanism: Drift ready flat land riding
- Maximum Speed: Up to 23 KPH (with riding modes)
- Shifting system: 2 wheel racing shift or brake
- Protection: IP54 water and dust resistant
- Material: Steel body construction with plastic upper
- Safety: Front bumper, Seat belt, lower center of gravity
- Has 10.5″ pneumatic tires on regular and drifting TPE for the pro
- Max slope of 15° with 40% front and 60% rear (on the pro)
- Intelligent app control with anti-theft, speed limit, firmware upgrade, etc.
- Convenient collapsible portable design
This go kart is specifically for drift lovers who want high-end drifting experience while having plenty of safety when kids are riding. With smart app control mechanism and extra safety features, this car is a true beast. It has two 400 watt motors, LED tail lights, and runs on Li-poly battery.
6. Razor Dirt Quad 500 ATV: Best for Off-roading
Does off-roading bring you back to the wild pretty often? Let’s have a look at the Razor Dirt Quad 500. It’s a quad bike that comes fully ready to ride on hard trails and rocky terrain. With heavy grip on the tires and high performer engine, it’s also the best electric cars for 13 year olds cheap.
This quad bike is suitable for both 13-14 years old teens and adults. You’ll get a high performer 500 watt motor that runs this quad bike with high-torque transmission system. Alongside the heavy duty gear set, its self-adjusting chain drive does magic on trails.
There are three 12V lead acid batteries running this ATV, and they’re rechargeable. With this battery pack, you’ll get up to 68 minutes of continuous rides. Plus, you’ll get a quick-change compartment to charge it up once drained off, not to mention the off-road speed it offers.
For the speed, you’re getting up to 9 MPH (14.4 kph) out of its hefty battery and motor. You can control the speed and throttle with the twist grip on board. The rear disk brake, rigid handlebar with soft rubber grip will help you ride the quad with ease.
On the other side, the smooth rear suspension and front brush bar will keep the ATV upright without tripping off. Not to mention, the 220 lbs of weight capacity with all weather compatibility, you’re getting a machine that outweighs its counterparts.
Talking of weather, the power coated tubular heavy duty steel frame of this ATV is out of the league. No matter how far you push its limits, the quad bike will exceed your expectations. What’s more, the front bumper will keep it safe from unfortunate trip overs or bumps.
- Frame: High strength tubular steel frame
- Applicable for: 14 year teens and up
- Protection: front bumper brush bar
- Transportation: Rear carry handle
- Motor: high-torque 500 watt
- gear set: internal/Integral
- Drive: self-adjusting chain-driven
- Quad dimensions: 50.4″ L x 28.7″ W x 31.9″ H
- Weight: 113 lbs.
- Max speed: Up to 9 mph
- Riders: 14 years old and up
- Battery: Three 12V (total 36V) sealed lead acid batteries
- Backup: 68 minutes of use with one charge
- Rechargeable: Yes, with a quick-change compartment
- Storage: Yes, vertical storage box
- Weight capacity: 220 pounds
- It’s a heavy ATV for off roading with a steel body
- You can run up to 68 minutes with one recharge
- The ATV goes up to 9 MPH and is easy to control
This quad motor vehicle will be the best choice if you’re looking for an ATV that goes anywhere. Paved road, sand, trails, off roading, no matter where you run it, it will go just fine. It runs 68 minutes straight with one recharge on its 36V battery and has a heavy steel frame.
7. FRP Baja-X 48V Electric Go Kart: Best for small kids
Do you want a car for your kid less than 13 years old, and want it to last long enough to ride for a few years? FRP has got your back. The FRP Baja-X is an all-electric go kart, suitable for 12 year old kids and more. It comes with every safety feature you could ever ask for.
First, you’re treated with a parental control key, ensuring maximum safety for the kid you’re concerned about. It’s a separate key to the ignition that limits the car to go above the set speed. For the speed, you get three modes including “safe”, “comfort”, and “sport mode”.
With safe mode, your kid gets to ride it at a maximum of 13 mph. Comfort mode offers 16, and the sport or race mode comes with 20 mph as the max speed for the car. No worries about the high speed though, there are seat belts on board to keep your kid in place.
To generate that much power, the car comes with a 48v 1000w motor on board, which is plenty, even for adults. It has got a disk brake for efficient braking, and both forward and reverse drive. To top that out, the car comes equipped with a safety flag on the tail.
You have a 175 lbs max load capacity in the car, making sure you have room for the kid growing or if you ride it yourself! It’s made of high-tensile steel with pneumatic tires to back you up. Plus, there are safety net guards on both sides.
- Applicable for: 12 year teens and up
- Safety control: Parental control key
- Control modes: safe, comfort, and sport/race
- Speeds: 3 speed modes: 13, 16, 20 mph
- Peripherals: safety flag, seat belt
- Brake system: disk brake
- Motor: 48v 1000w motor
- Battery: 48V lead acid battery pack
- Drive functions: forward and reverse
- Kart load: 175 lbs max capacity
- Safety net: Yes, on the front and 2 sides
- Car material: high-tensile alloy steel
- Tires: pneumatic tires
- Charging time: 6 to 8 hours
- Quad dimensions: 51.5 x 33 x 34.5 inches
- Weight: 156.5 Pounds
- Max speed: Up to 20 mph
- The lead acid battery needs maximum of 8 hours of charging
- This car comes with full parental control to set a maximum speed
- Comes with all sorts of safety from nets to seat belts
This one is for you if you’re after big electric cars for 13 year olds and don’t want to compromise on the safety. It offers a 48V 1000 watt motor with parental lock, net, and steel unified body for your kid’s safety. However, don’t overcharge the battery above 8 hours.
8. NEWQIDA 24v 2 Seater Ride On UTV Buggy: Best for 2 seater
Now let’s bring in the car witch which you can help two kids can jump in together. If you have a kid 13 or 14 years old, and another who’s probably 5 or 6, chances are, you want them to ride and bond together. Well, the Newqida 2 seater UTV brings just that on the table.
This is a small car, basically suitable for kids of age around 5 or 6, but there is a catch here. Since it’s a two seater, there has to be another person on board with your 5 year old kid. It can be yourself, your elder kid, or someone else who can bond together and care for the kid.
With a max load capacity of 220lbs, this car will take in two kids just fine. The seats are 24.4″ in width together and are adjustable individually with seatbelts on each. Your and your kid’s safety is further assured with a rear metal grill that adds extra rigidity to the seating area.
As for the power, the car works on a 24 volt 14AH battery. That provide plenty of power to all 4 motors on 4 wheels with 3 gears. The wheels are tough, all terrain, and made for off roading of any kind. As you can imagine already, this thing will surely thrill your kids.
No worries for the extra bump in the wheels from off-roading because NewQida has thought it through. They’ve put in 3 highly responsive shock absorbing springs inside. They’ll take in all the bumps and hurdles from the ground and make the rides smoother.
Let’s not forget, the control! You can control it with the 2.4 GHz remote controller, or your kid can use the steering wheels instead! With a control panel and an LED panel in front, and Bluetooth MP3, the ride will be amazing. Plus, it’s equipped with tail and front lights!
- Applicable for: 2 seats for 4 years old and up
- Control panel: Dashboard, ignition, indicators
- Parental control: Yes, with remote control
- Speeds: Adjustable speed from 3.7 to 5.6 MPH
- Suspension: Yes, on all 4 wheels
- Drive functions: Steering wheel and remote control
- Weight capacity: 220 Pounds
- Material: polypropylene and metal
- Load Capacity: 220 lbs
- Charge Time: 8-12 hrs
- Backup time: 40-60 minutes
- Tired Type: Tread Tire
- Battery Type: 24V 10Ah
- Electric Motor: 4 motors power
- Dimensions:97(W) x 36.22″(D) x 30.71″(H)
- Peripherals: Aux cord, Bluetooth mp3, horn
- Navigation: front and rear lights
- Assembly Required: Yes, instructions included
- All 4 wheels drive makes this ATV a little off roading machine
- Made of polypropylene and iron, this car is extremely durable
- Adjustable seats for both kids and adults with seat belts
This UTV is the best option if you have 2 to 3 kids to let ride together, or you need to ride by side. It’s a 2 seater all terrain, 4WD car with both on board and remote control. The seats are adjustable back and forth (with seat belts) and you have parental control on the remote.
How To Choose Electric Cars For 13 Year Olds (And Up)
Choosing an electric car for your 13-y old kid can be a straightforward if you know what to look for while buying one. Here are the most important factors you must consider while buying the next EV for your kid:
Before everything, you need to consider the type of car you’re getting your kid. There are a few types of cars you can go for:
- Go kart
- RC toys
- Sit on
- Regular cars
Depending on which one you’re going for, it’s necessary to understand how each works. All these cars will offer you different outlooks. The go kart is mainly for drift rides while sit on ATVs are mostly for off-roading as 4WD.
RC toys, on the other hand, are only for playing with a remote controller. And regular cars are no usual thing you’ll get to see in the market we’re talking about.
Compatibility for Your Kid
You’ve decided on the car you’re going for, now it’s time to calculate if your kid fits into it well or not. Make sure the height and weight of your kid match the advertised maximum limit for the car.
Without this checked, you may end up endangering your kid and lead to an accident. You can only ensure maximum safety for your kid(s) when you have it fully compatible for him/her.
The motor power is a crucial consideration you need take into account while choosing a car for your kid. Too much power will lead to danger, and too less power won’t cut the need. You need just the right amount of it.
If you’re planning for a fair drifting capacity off of the motor, a 500-100 watt motor should be your target. It’s the same for offroading UTVs that take more power to go over uneven terrain and rocks. You have a room for less if you want it for regular rides on paved roads.
The battery is your driving force in an electric car, regardless whether it’s for your kid or yourself. For your kid’s car, be sure to have a battery that will offer at least 15 minutes of run time from a single charge.
Well, as a standard, 30 minutes of run time should be good enough while for 13-15 year old kids might want it a bit longer. In that case, an hour of continuous ride from the battery should be adequate.
Safety in a kid’s car should be your first priority as an obvious step. As a rule of thumb, if it’s a sit-in or sit-on car, it must come with seat belts. If it’s a go kart you’re getting, it should come with safety nets as well.
Another safety standard would be parental control. If the car can go really fast, like 15 or 20 miles per hour, it should have an option to limit that. It can be an extra set of keys or a remote controller that gives you control over the max speed of the car.
Driving the car can be an amazing experience for your kid, but only if it’s easy to go with. It can come with both remote control and onboard mechanical control. You can also find both in some cases, like the NEWQIDA UTV offers.
Build quality is the thing that determines how far your kid can push the limits. Generally, kid’s cars come with a polypropylene construction with metal in the important parts. With a good car, you’ll find the gear and transmission system made with metal as well as the skeleton.
The wheels are to be compatible for the title it comes with. If it’s an off-roader, it should come with treaded, rough road compatible tires that offer maximum grip over harsh terrain. For drifting, the rear tires must come with smooth drifting capacity instead of treads.
Frequently Asked Questions
Making an educated decision can arise a boatload of questions. If you have more questions regarding electric cars for your 13 year old kid, here are some:
Are Electric Kids Cars Worth It?
If you’re planning to gift your kid with the best kind of playing experience, you better consider getting an electric car for him/her. It’s a great toy to help them get into the adult world with increased brainstorming and of course, better mind as a byproduct.
How Long Does Kid’s Electric Car Last?
The electric cars that we’ve listed above, are extremely durable and fun to ride. They will last for years, only to justify the cost you’re investing in your kid’s joy and fun. An electric car for kid should last you 3 to 5 years or more with good care and proper riding.
How Old Should a Child Be for An Electric Car?
A kid can start riding an electric car just after 6 years when they can control the car on their own. However, you can also let a 3-4 year old kid ride an electric car under your supervision. For a 12, 13 years old and more, you should still have parental restrictions in place, but with more flexibility for the kid as well.
How Much Do Kids Electric Cars Weigh?
A kids’ electric car can weigh 15 to 160 lbs, depending on which type of car you’re getting in the first place. If it’s a toy RC car without anybody getting in or on it, it shouldn’t weigh much!
On the other hand, if it’s a life-size car that your kid gets into, it will weigh much more. With a full size body, such a car will weigh around 150 lbs.
Sure enough, getting the right electric car for your kid could be daunting. But with the extensive guide above, you should now be all set to make the right decision. The cars we’ve picked are all well capable in their category.
If you want our suggestion among these electric cars for 13 year olds, our editorial pick would be the MotoTec 1000w Go Kart. This go-kart has a heavy duty motor and enough battery to run the car for 40 minutes from 4-6 hours of charge. There are 3 speed levels and all the safety features you want to have for your kid in a car.